JSR's history in binder development
2013 - SBR latex used in large scale battery production globally
2012 - JSR water based cathode binder implemented in high-volume LiB production
2011 - Commercial launch of aqueous cathode binder
2009 - Expanding SBR latex binder business to the global market
1995 - Commercialization of SBR latex binder for LiB negative electrode
1957 - Established as Japan Synthetic Rubber Co., Ltd
JSR is supplying SBR latex binder for Lithium ion batteries since 1995.
JSR manufactures binder materials for lithium ion batteries that offer significant improvements in safety, performance and manufacturing cost compared to traditional binders.
Aqueous binders use water to replace the organic solvent used in battery production. Solvents often used for this purpose include N-Methylpyrrolidone (NMP) or N-Ethylpurrolidone (NEP). Switching to water based production can reduce manufacturing costs by 50%. Organic solvents are considerably more expensive and require additional costs for a recovery column and environmental compliance
Our aqueous binders have superior adhesion and can be used in lower concentrations. This increases battery rate and cycle life performance. JSR's aqueous binders are the compelling choice for high performance, low cost and environmentally-friendly manufacturing.
1. Lower processing cost
- Processing of aqueous systems is cheaper compared to organic solvent based processing
- There is no need for a solvent recovery system which leads to reduced cost for health & safety precautions and environmental pollution.
- Humidity control only becomes necessary towards the end of the production process. A large part of the production line can thus operate under environmental humidity conditions.
2. Improved productivity
- Faster drying speed and lower drying temperatures increase productivity and efficiency of electrode fabrication.
3. Environmental friendly processing
- JSR binders are supplied as an emulsion of binder polymer in water. They do not contain organic solvents. This allows for clean and pollution-free processing.
4. Improved cell performance
- JSR binders show an excellent adhesive strength combined with high flexibility, resulting in a reduced amount of binder
- Lower intrinsic resistance leads to high rate charge and discharge batteries
- Improved cycle life and initial capacity.
5. Tailor made customer support
JSR Research and support laboratories
JSR is an R&D driven company offering specialty chemicals to our customers. We aim to offer the best possible product for each specific application. Our binder materials are designed with this company philosophy in mind. Each of our binders has been rigorously evaluated in our extensive testing facilities before being released into the market. This does not only include testing of mechanical and chemical properties but also performance in actual batteries. To this end JSR has constructed extensive R&D laboratories for research and customer support available in different geographical areas.
JSR offers both Water based Anode and Water based Cathode binders.
For contact and ordering information for Europe, Middle-East, Africa and India, click here